At First Christian Church we strive to be generous with our gifts. While money is always a need, it’s the gift of one’s time that will really help us realize this vision. First Christian needs people to be our Lord’s hands and feet by participating in a variety of church leadership, ministry team, servant group, and prayer roles.
Elders are our spiritual leaders. They help meet the physical and spiritual needs of members, oversee our worship life, and preside at the Lord’s Table.
- Be responsible for the spiritual life of the Congregation
- Preside at the Lord’s Table
- Share with the pastoral staff in the conduct of priestly functions regarding the spiritual life and development of the Congregation
- Take an active role in leadership and service in the Congregation
The Diaconate are the doers who maintain the worldly aspects of the Congregation. This includes everything from keeping the building and business of the church going to serving communion each Sunday.
- Assist in the growth of the Congregation
- Serve on groups associated with the Congregation
Trustees act as legal agents between our church and the secular world.
- Act as legal agents for all related matters at the direction of the Church Council
- Establish policy and procedure for memorial gifts, endowments, wills, bequests, and trusts given to the church
- Arrange Congregation’s insurance
- Oversee major repair or maintenance projects
Ministry Teams & Servant Groups
Worship and Witness – In cooperation with our church leadership, The Worship Team oversees the worship life of our church. Volunteers prepare the elements of communion; design prayer stations; plan inspirational services for Lent, Easter, Advent and Christmas; and create inspirational settings in which we can worship each week. This is a spiritually empowering activity that taps a great deal of creativity. The Evangelism Team seeks to help us spread the Good News by inviting any and all outsiders to become insiders, and making sure all who come know they are welcome and loved.
Membership and Mission – The Membership & Education Team nurtures our members and encourages active participation in the congregation through service to the church community and to the greater community at large. Volunteers teach Sunday school and Vacation Bible School (VBS). Others create educational and fellowship opportunities for the church community and the public — everything from discussions on Christian history and Bible studies to carry-in dinners and game or movie nights. The Outreach Team continually seeks ways for us to serve the wider community. It oversees fundraisers like the Grub Run to support the Christian Food Pantry; publicizes various special offerings; arranges collections like shoes (“soles4souls”), coats (for the homeless in winter), and bras (“Free the Girls” to end human trafficking); and helps involve us in worthy community programs and projects as we strive to be Christ’s hands and feet.
Facilities and Finance – The Property Team looks after the upkeep of our physical property so it can be the base for all our other activities. These volunteers keep the physical structures in good looking working order, doing everything from replacing lights and unstopping sinks to arranging work days for Spring and Fall cleaning. They hire professionals to pave or plow the parking lot, re-roof the Sanctuary, and more. The Stewardship & Finance Team coordinates our annual stewardship campaign, maintains investments from bequests, signs legal documents to allow for construction and maintenance, and in many other ways strives to make sure our financial dealings reflect the fact that it’s God’s money, not ours.
Our most important ministry can be done in a small group or nursing home bed just as easily as in the sanctuary!
- Pray for the faithfulness and health of our members (and for yourself!)
- Pray for our church leaders
- Pray for the sick
- Pray for our denomination
- Pray for other denominations
- Pray for those who don’t know Christ
- Pray for the community
- Pray for the wider world
- Pray to praise God
- Pray by speaking, by being silent, and by listening!